IoAiutoBra 1 red
The wedding celebrated abroad, between an Italian citizen and a foreign citizen, to be valid in Italy must be transcribed.
Who can make the request: The transcription can be requested by the interested party, by anyone who has an interest in it or by the Diplomatic or Consular Authority. The transcription of an act is prohibited if it is contrary to public order. At least one of the spouses must be an Italian citizen and reside in the Municipality or be registered with the Municipality of AIRE.
What is needed: 
  • Original marriage certificate with official translation and legalization. Legalization does not only concern the deed, but also the translator's signature. If the document was formed in a country adhering to the Hague Convention of 5/10/61, it is exempt from legalization but must bear the "Apostille" stamp;
  • Marriage certificate drawn up on a multilingual model if it was formed in a State adhering to the Vienna Convention of 8/9/76. In this case, no translation and legalization is required;
  • Transcript;
  • Identity document.
Regarding the legalization of documents, given the variety of cases, always contact the transcription office first. Once the transcription has taken place, the office will take care of inserting it in the registers of the resident population for the relative certification.
Reference rule: articles 12 paragraphs 10,11,12 and 63 - DPR 396/2000